A friend from my old neighborhood opined a couple years ago that our generation of Revere kids lived under a curse. “The more time moves on, I think we may be lucky for just getting out of the city,” he told me in an email. “Revere was just eating people up back then. It’s like we lost a generation.”
The death tally boggles the mind:
- Stefanie Santarpio died last week at age 36 from pneumonia complications. Her mom died a couple days later.
- TJ Leduc died in early October in an apparent suicide. His father died a few hours later.
- Jay Nickerson died from cancer in 2006.
- Sean Marley ended his life in 1996.
- Zane Mead was the first of the three people on this list to die of suicide, in 1988.
- Michael Brenner, my brother, died in 1984 from a severe asthma attack.
- Michael McDonald was a name I remember from the neighborhood, though I didn’t really know him. He died several years ago.
- Kenny Page was also a name I remember but someone I didn’t know, who died several years ago.
- Scott James also died several years ago. He’s the one I know the least about.
A sad legacy, for sure. A curse? You be the judge.
I keep all these people in my prayers, and I’m thankful for those I was blessed to know.